I sat down to work on this and just stared at the white “paper”. I thought this would be interesting, but also pretty easy. Boy, was I wrong. How much easier this would have been had it said ‘share five things you are bad at’. I could have filled this page in minutes. Am I the only one who finds it hard to think of all the good things you can do? What’s that say about us? What’s that say about how much negative we must take in every day without even realizing it? I’m going to give this my best shot.
1. I’m very creative. I love crafts of all kinds and view my house as a canvas waiting to be crafted upon. TBH the house doesn’t get nearly the work on it that I want to do, but as time/money/ideas/energy allows I keep plugging away. I enjoy doing a number of crafts on a fairly regular basis and hope to increase that this year. Mostly, right now, I do jewelry, polymer clay, wire work, soapmaking and knitting and crocheting. There are a few other things thrown in, but they aren’t things I do regularly.
2. I’m very good at reading. Ok, this is maybe not what they were thinking of when they posted this prompt, but it is something I excel at and have ever since I was a child. I love to learn new things, learn new little facts and tidbits, delve into fictional lands with characters who become my friends, find comfort in reading things I read when I was little with my mom, learn how to do new things that I can share with or give to others. So, I count this.
3. I’m a good cook. No, I don’t make a lot of fancy pants things, although I have in the past for special occasions, but when it comes to good stick-to-your-ribs stomach filling food, I’m great at that. I make great homemade breads. I love to experiment with bread and am always playing around with different ones. These days I do use a breadmaker mostly because my hands hurt too much usually to do the kneading by hand, but often I just use it for the kneading part and then take it out and do the rest by hand. I’m also gangbusters at stews and baking. One of these days I’ll put more of my recipes up for you guys to try. 🙂
4. I’m good at writing. Now, this might be somewhat debateable I suppose. It’s a subjective thing. I do feel that I do a good job of cutting to the core of things when I write songs and I enjoy the art of storytelling in both my poems and my books. So perhaps others may not agree, I do think I do well at writing.
5. This one I hesitate a bit on because I haven’t done anything with it in about 8 years. Still, I am/was very good at it. Musician. I’ve always been able to play whatever I picked up. By the time I was out of high school I could play 13 instruments, and read for most of them. I play enough of others to entertain myself or do my writing, like the piano. In college I was a music major, in a round about fashion, which is another story. I was doing independent study under the head of the music department and wanted to major in theory and composition and learn to conduct. I’ve been in bands, choruses, orchestras, marching bands, a drum and bugle corp for a short time, folk groups, church groups, you name it. I used to write a lot of songs, but haven’t for a long time. So while I don’t do anything with it now, although I do hope I will someday again, I was very, very good at that.
Maybe these aren’t the sorts of things the prompt was referring to, but they are how I took it. Maybe they meant more social skills, or interpersonal skills, I don’t know, but since I’m not as good at those things, I’ll go with these. lol.
What are your five things?