I’ve been wanting to do a butterfly for a while now and last night I finally started one. I discovered a few things along the way. While I love my Derwent Watercolor pencils, they aren’t the way to get a really dark velvety black. I then tried my watercolor crayons and that worked much better, but still not that deep black that was eluding me. Then I remembered that I had bought not too long ago a pack of watercolor gouache paints, which were supposed to be opaque. I started working with them this morning and found my dark inky black! So I went over everything with that then started the detail work. I sometimes wonder if I should have started with acrylic painting before tackling watercolor, but I do love how watercolors come out…well, others watercolors, not so much my own most of the time. LOL.
Anyway, here is my Black Swallowtail Butterfly. I’m really happy with how the background came out. I struggle with those. I’m pretty happy with my efforts on this one. I think I’ll frame it and put this one up in my room. 🙂
The picture was taken outside, hence the shadows on the picture, which I rather liked. The paper was 140lb. Canson Watercolor paper.