Home » Random Acts of Thinking » Paintings and a new sewing project

Paintings and a new sewing project


So now that the rush for the bigger items is done for now, I wanted to try something smaller. I saw this on you tube and thought it looked adorable. However, the video is not very good, unless you are really experienced, and a lot wasn’t very well explained. The camera work was pretty unhelpful as well. The first one I made, which is the one you see here, came out pretty good except that the foundation piece that all the pockets, inside and out, are attached to is the wrong side out. In the video she used plain material and said it didn’t matter for that, but did not go on to say which way the material should be if it has a definite front and back. First thing learned. It also matters which way you place the pocket fabrics if it has a pattern with a definite top and bottom. Again, not explained. Second thing learned. Finally, there is a part that I have yet to figure out, but doing it the way she shows leaves you with the folded edge showing. I don’t know how to explain this better, but I have yet to sort out how to make that not happen. I love how it looks though and it really holds tons of stuff. I want to make more of these in all kinds of fabrics and sell them, but first I have to figure out all the unexplained things. lol.

mug pockets 1 mug pockets 2

 

I’ve also been trying some new art projects. I found a few ideas on you tube (where else? lol) and wanted to give them a shot. I didn’t have quite the same items they used, but substituted with what I had. So what do you do with a background that came out all wrong? You use it to make something else on! That’s what this painting is. Did you know that watercolor paint does not like to go over top acrylic? I didn’t. lol.  Although, once I got one coat on the rest stuck just fine. I tried using watercolor and also used a little white gouach (spelling?) in titanium white. It was sort of fun, and very freeing, to not worry about wasting the paper since I had already made a mess of it and this was just time to play and experiment. I don’t dislike it, but wonder if I could spray it or modge podge it to give it a more glossy look…..hmm…

universe experiment

The next painting was another “oh crud, I think this is wrong now what do I do with it” painting. These two were actually created on the same night while trying a new technique. By created, I mean the messed up background, not what was done on top of them. This one I used india ink and outlined all the little nooks and crannies to see what I would end up with. I then added little surprised in the different places. I like the colors in this one and I always like a lined look with pen and ink.

pen and acrylic

This last one was another attempt at what I saw on you tube. This time I got it right. 🙂  I made three prints, one large and two smalls, and this is one of the small ones. When I looked at it I saw a fish, so that’s what came out. This was a lot of fun. The next two will look like other things and I’ll try to remember to get a before and after shot so you can see what I was trying to do.

found fish

That’s it for today. Hope you had a great day!

 

 

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “Paintings and a new sewing project

I love comments. Let's Talk!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s